Manual for Teachers: How Is Healing Accomplished?
Sickness, Illness, Injury -- are all some of the most seemingly powerful and effective tools in the ego's arsenal of blockages to the presence of Love within us. It seems to be the rare body and/or mind that does not have some ailment either some or all of the time. This is reflected by the number of doctors, therapists, healers and a multitude of health professionals; and hospitals, clinics and such; and in the world's medical modalities such as x-rays and MRI's and surgery; alternate healing methods and therapies such as Ayurvedic and chiropractic; in medicinal drugs and "essential" oils, Bach Flowers, etc. People throughout the world are focused on the "proper" diet, the "right" exercise, yoga, breathing exercises, massage, chanting, meditating and yes, even forgiveness.
In our quest to heal, we concern ourselves mainly with the body. "The body can react wrongly only when it is responding to misthought." (T-2.IV.2:5) So if the body only reflects the thoughts of the mind, then healing is of the mind and not of the body.
Take note of these quotes from the Course about the body (I suggest a deeper reading of Chapter 18, Sections 7 and 8, and Chapter 19, Section 1, especially for those who are still in doubt about the importance of the body and its "healing."):
1. You still have too much faith in the body as a source of strength. (T-18.VII.1:1)
2. There is one thing that you have never done; you have not utterly forgotten the body. (T-18.VII.2:1) In the instant that you let it disappear, the miracle of Atonement happens.
3. At no single instant does the body exist at all. It is always remembered or anticipated, but never experienced just now. (T-18.VII.3:1-2)
4. "I need do nothing." (T-18.VII.5:7) To do anything involves the body. And if you recognize you need do nothing, you have withdrawn the body's value from your mind. (T-18.VII.7:1-2)
5. It is only the awareness of the body that makes love seem limited. For the body is a limit on love. (T-18.VIII.1:1-2)
6. The body cannot know. (T-18.VIII.2:1)
7. God cannot come into a body, nor can you join Him there. (T-18.VIII.2:3)
8. Love knows no bodies, and reaches to everything created like itself. Its total lack of limit is its meaning. (T-18.VIII.8:1-2)
9. The body cannot heal, because it cannot make itself sick. It needs no healing. Its health or sickness depends entirely on how the mind perceives it, and the purpose that the mind would use it for. (T-19.I.3:1-2)
10. The inevitable compromise is the belief that the body must be healed, and not the mind. (T-19.I.6:1)
11. Grace is not given to a body, but to a mind. And the mind that receives it looks instantly beyond the body, and sees the holy place where it was healed. (T-19.I.13:1-2)
12. Let, then, your dedication be to the eternal, and learn how not to interfere with it and make it slave to time. . . you can enslave a body, but an idea is free, incapable of being kept in prison or limited in any way except by the mind that thought it. For it remains joined to its source, which is its jailer (ego) or its liberator (Holy Spirit), according to which it chooses as its purpose for itself. (T-19.I.16:1,4-5)
Certainly, you may continue worldly methods of healing and may even appear to benefit from them. Yet it is important to remember that all healing is of the mind, so it is important to learn the principles of this mind-training course called A Course in Miracles! We do not disparage the perceived helpfulness of any or all of the above healing modalities, yet we are concerned here and now with a corrective procedure, a miracle, a shift in perception, that will correct the error of sickness once and for all. For unless the mind is corrected of the idea that sickness is real, there will be no healing of the body through any method. Sickness and ailments will appear to shift from one area to another until the cause (false perception in the mind) is corrected So, be sure to include mind-training in your healing regimen. In fact, it is well to make it a priority and to consider mindful breathing, fasting, yoga options, meditation, Gregorian chanting and other such practices as a "warm-up" for spiritual enlightenment. After all, the body will not last, yet the loving mind is eternal.
In the Course Jesus tells us that God's Will for us is "perfect happiness." In our quest for this happiness, we have become overly concerned with the body, almost to the point of obsession. We are continuously thinking about the body, doing this and that, eating this or that, and all sorts of things. We are making an effort to achieve contact with happiness through the body. Yet that is not possible. We must look deep within to the altar where God and His Son meet -- through PERFECT LOVE, which is the Atonement (the undoing of fear and invitation to love). (T-2.VI.7-8) We take care of the body through our LOVE for God and our desire for perfect happiness, God's Will. If that includes meditation and massage for you, so be it. One thing is for certain; it includes holy relationships, relationships guided by the Holy Spirit, as that is the quickest way to God, quicker even than meditation for all who have chosen the mind-training Course in Miracles as their path home. The holy relationship is the expression of the holy instant in living in this world. (T-17.V.1:1) The holy instant is a miniature of Heaven and of Eternity. (T-17.IV11:1,4) No substitute you made for Heaven can keep you from it. (T-18.I.9:9)
Slowly in America the number of physicians is becoming less and the number of psychoanalysts are increasing. Even the physicians say that the greater percentage of man's diseases are of the mind, not of the body. And as their understanding grows, this percentage rating increases. As the repression of the mind accumulates, the volatility of the mind is escalated and like a volcano, will eventually erupt, as it has for so many already. So now is the time to FORGIVE, to see only the light in the world and not the darkness. Thus the darkness, which is no longer fed, will starve due to lack of attention -- and only the light will remain.
FORGIVENESS is done through TRUTH, not through exercise, chanting and diet. A Course in Miracles will help you to see the light, to see the TRUTH that will set you FREE, which is that God created you in His Image and Light; you did not create yourself. And He created you perfect, whole and complete, and no repression will change that, and neither will massage or fasting, or other special techniques devised by the world. Only by knowing the truth of who you are and Who your Father is will you be set free to BE perfectly happy.
INVITATION TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
I must have decided wrongly, because I am not at peace.
I made the decision myself, but I can also decide otherwise.
I want to decide otherwise, because I want to be at peace.
I do not feel guilty, because the Holy Spirit will undo all the
consequences of my wrong decision if I will let Him.
I choose to let Him, by allowing Him to decide for God for me.
So make the truth your priority, learn it now and learn it well, as only the truth of your Creator and Creation will give you the perfect happiness that God Wills for you, and that you, joined with Him, will for yourself.
In the next few lessons, we will learn the cause of sickness, the perceived purpose of sickness, the shift in perception about healing, and the function of miracles and of the Teacher of God in healing. Each lesson will have a summary or RECAP. If you have any questions about anything that you read, or if there is anything we can help you to understand, or anything you want to contribute, please use the contact page or email us at [email protected] We do not profess to know it all. Yet we are most willing to share what we do know as we are here only to be "truly helpful."
THE HELPER'S PRAYER
I am here only to be truly helpful.
I do not have to worry about what to say or do
because He Who sent me will direct me.
I am content to be wherever He wishes, knowing
He goes there with me.
I will be healed, as I let Him teach me to heal.
Peace and Happiness and Freedom are we. ♥
Spirit are we, in the state of grace forever. ♥