Manual for Teachers: 2. Who Are Their Pupils?
1. "Certain pupils have been assigned to each of God's teachers, and they will begin to look for him as soon as he has answered the Call." These pupils have been chosen for this teacher because the form of the universal curriculum that he will teach is best for them in view of their level of understanding His pupils have been waiting for him, for his coming is certain. Again it is only a matter of time. Once the teacher has chosen to fulfill his role, the pupils can then begin to fulfill theirs.
So until the teacher has accepted his role, the pupils may be wandering around in the darkness of ego, making error after error, not knowing if they are coming or going, not knowing their direction in life, what their purpose is, uncertain as to what to do, where to go, and whom to ask for help (even though they often think they know). The longer it takes for the teacher to choose his role, then, the longer it will take for the pupils to fulfill theirs. So would it behoove the teacher to answer the Call quickly? It would, for his sake as well as for the sake of the pupils. Because as soon as the teacher begins to teach, the sooner both teacher and pupils begin to learn. "The Holy Spirit must work through you to teach you He is in you. (T-7.IV.2:1)
2. "In order to understand the teaching-learning plan of salvation, it is necessary to grasp the concept of time that the Course sets forth." To begin, Atonement* corrects illusion. It does not correct truth, because only what is not true needs correction. Yet correcting illusion is the same as correcting what never was, since illusion is not real. The fact that it seems so real is a testament to the ability of the Son of God to adhere with perseverance to something. Yet that something has been mischosen if it is not real. He must open his mind to allow miracles to correct the illusions that are blocking truth in his mind, his mind will straighten, and thus he will then adhere only to the truth.
Further, the plan for this correction was established and completed simultaneously, for the Will of God is entirely apart from time. So is all reality apart from time, since reality is of Him Who is timeless. Though it may appear that the illusion is still here, remember, it is illusory, and it never was here except in the mind that dreamed it was. The instant the idea of separation entered the mind of God’s Son, in that same instant God’s Answer was given. In time this happened very long ago. In reality it never happened at all! So why continue to adhere to an illusory idea that has long since been discarded as unreal? The tenaciousness of the ego is unfathomable, as is the idea of the ego itself!
3. “The world of time is the world of illusion.” What happened long ago seems to be happening now. Choices made long since appear to be open and yet to be made. What has been learned and understood and long ago passed by is looked upon as a new thought, a fresh idea, a different approach. But all has happened already. Nothing is new but the new life that God has promised to you when you set all illusions aside and accept truth in their place. How about NOW, Son of God??
Because your will is free you can accept God’s Answer at any time you choose, and only then will you realize that It was always there. You can choose the truth now, and now, and now. If that appears to be difficult, ask for help, because help is always available for the Son of God. Every call to the Holy Spirit will be answered, of that you can be certain. Listen so you will hear The Answer, knowing that it is here for you. If you are not yet certain of that, then test Him. Call upon Him, open to receive His Answer, and listen with faith. Upon hearing His Answer over and over every time you call, your faith will build and build into certainty that only GOD IS.
*Miracles are part of an interlocking chain of forgiveness which, when completed, is the Atonement. A miracle is a correction introduced into false thinking by Jesus. It acts as a catalyst, breaking up erroneous perception and reorganizing it properly. (T-1.I.37)
Manual for Teachers
2. Who Are Their Pupils?
1. Certain pupils have been assigned to each of God’s teachers, and they will begin to look for him as soon as he has answered the Call.
2. These pupils have been chosen for this teacher because the form of the universal curriculum that he will teach is best for them in view of their level of understanding.
3. His pupils have been waiting for him, for his coming is certain. It is only a matter of time.
4. In order to understand the teaching-learning plan of salvation, it is necessary to grasp the concept of time that the Course sets forth. The world of time is the world of illusion. What happened long ago seems to be happening now. Yet the plan for correction was established and completed simultaneously, for the Will of God is entirely apart from time. So it is already over and we are in Heaven with the Father. We just seem to be in this world, remembering what never really happened at all. It is confusing perhaps, but understandable just the same. Ask the Holy Spirit to clarify it for you. He will give you God’s Answer.
5. You can choose the truth now, and now, and now. Because your will is free you can accept God’s Answer at any time you choose, and only then will you realize that It was always there.
6. Time really, then, goes backward to an instant so ancient that it is beyond all memory, and past even the possibility of remembering – an instant which seems to be now. And thus pupil and teacher seem to come together to join in the light of remembrance and awakening.
7. In this light, all the differences they thought separated them from one another fade and grow dim and disappear. The two (teacher and pupil) unite ever more fully over time, sharing one interest and one goal. And thus they both see in another person the same interests as his own.
8. Together they will learn who they truly are, who others are to them, and Who GOD IS.