Manual for Teachers: 18. How is Correction Made?
1. Correction of a lasting nature -- and only this is true correction -- cannot be made until the teacher of God has ceased to confuse interpretation with fact, or illusion with truth. If he argues with his pupil about a magic thought, attacks it, tries to establish its error or demonstrate its falsity, he is but witnessing to its reality. Of course, let your pupils know what is real and what is illusion. Yet until they are ready to accept the truth, forcing it upon them will not work. Depression is then inevitable, for he has “proved” both to his pupil and himself that it is their task to escape from what seems real to them. And this can only be impossible. It is better for you both to be “happy” than “right.” Reality is changeless and magic thoughts are but illusions. Know this, otherwise salvation would be only the same age-old impossible dream in another form. It is not the form alone in which the difference lies. Of course, when a student IS ready for corrections, the heavens open and truth POURS out.
2. God’s teachers’ major lesson is to learn how to respond to magic thoughts wholly without anger. Only in this way can they proclaim the truth about themselves. Through God’s teachers, the Holy Spirit can now speak of the reality of the Son of God. Now He can remind the world of sinlessness, the one unchanged and unchangeable condition of all that God created. Now He can speak the Word of God to listening ears, and bring Christ’s vision to eyes that see. Now is He free to teach all minds the truth of what they are, so they will gladly be returned to Him. And now is guilt forgiven, overlooked completely in His sight and in God’s Word.
3. Anger but screeches, “Guilt is real!” Reality is blotted out as this insane belief is taken as replacement for God’s Word. In anger the body’s eyes now “see;” the body’s ears alone can “hear.” Its little space and tiny breath become the measure of reality. And truth becomes diminutive and meaningless. Correction has one answer to all this, and to the world that rests on this:
You but mistake interpretation for the truth. And you are wrong. But a mistake is
not a sin, nor has reality been taken from its throne by your mistakes. God reigns
forever, and His laws alone prevail upon you and upon the world. His Love remains
the only thing there is. Fear is illusion, for you are like Him.
4. In order to heal, then, it thus becomes essential for the teacher of God to let all his own mistakes be corrected. If he detects even the faintest hint of irritation in himself as he responds to anyone, let him instantly realize that he has made in interpretation that is not true. Then let him turn within to his Eternal Guide (Holy Spirit) and let Him judge what the response should be. So he is now healed, and in his healing is his pupil healed with him. The sole responsibility of God’s teacher is to accept the Atonement for himself. Atonement means correction, or the undoing of errors. When this has been accomplished, the teacher of God becomes a miracle worker by definition. His sins have been forgiven him, and he no longer condemns himself. How can he then condemn anyone? And who is there whom his forgiveness can fail to heal?
Let me behold the Son of God today, and witness to his glory. Let me not try to obscure the holy light in him, and see his strength diminished and reduced to frailty by my misinterpretations of who he is, nor perceive in him the lacks with which I would attack his sovereignty. Today I would behold his gentleness instead of my illusions. Let me remember he is what I am. And as I see my brother, so shall I see my Self. Today I would see truly, that this day I may at last identify with Him.
MANUAL FOR TEACHERS
18. HOW IS CORRECTION MADE?
1. True correction of magic thoughts is of a lasting nature. It cannot be made until the teacher of God has ceased to confuse interpretation with fact, or illusion with truth.
2. If a TOG* finds himself listening to the ego, he may argue with the magic thought of his pupil, attack it, try to establish its error or demonstrate its falsity. He may even raise his voice to “be heard.” (Anyone who truly wants to “be heard,” and to be respected for his wisdom, must first learn and speak the TRUTH as guided by the Holy Spirit -- or it will be like whistling in the wind.)
3. God’s teachers’ major lesson is to learn how to respond to magic thoughts wholly without anger. He must always allow the Holy Spirit to lead. Then, if provoked by the ego -- even almost beyond endurance -- the Holy Spirit is already entering into the illusion proclaiming the truth. Yet when the TOG is merely slightly irritated at the magic thought of his pupil, sometimes anger that lies beneath the surface appears more difficult to discern. Yet still, if the Holy Spirit is leading, all is well. Of course, if no anger appears when provoked by the ego, the TOG has learned the major lesson: how to respond to magic thoughts wholly without anger (or attack or irritation or impatience). That is optimal here.
4. In order to heal, then, it becomes essential for the TOG to let all his own mistakes be corrected. If the TOG detects even the faintest hint of irritation in himself as he responds to anyone, let him instantly realize that he has made an interpretation that is not true. Then let him calmly turn within to his Eternal Guide (Holy Spirit) and let Him judge what the response should be.
5. Following the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to respond through the TOG, will heal the TOG and heal the pupil as well. This is imperative to dispel magic thoughts. As such, misinterpretation and the resulting anger and assault will be no more.
6. The sole responsibility of God’s teacher is to accept the Atonement for himself. Atonement means correction of error, and the undoing of fear. When this has been accomplished, The TOG becomes a miracle worker by definition. His false perceptions have been corrected; he no longer condemns himself or others; he is healed and he can heal. He becomes a healed healer.
7. Today, behold the Son of God with impunity.** Behold his gentleness instead of your illusion of his frailty. Remember he was created by God and do not let the ego deceive you. Today, see truly.
God reigns forever, and His laws alone prevail upon you and upon the world.
His Love remains the only thing there is.
*TOG = Teacher of God
**impunity -- exemption or freedom from punishment, harm, or loss (e.q., laws were flouted with impunity; we must see the Son of God with impunity as strong and gentle, not as weak)